Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Instructional Design

Instructional Design

So many people have asked me on my profession. What is the nature of my job or what do I do as an instructinal designer. I thought of writing a blog that. Hope this blog gives a clear picture of what I do as an Instructional Designer. Let me start with the of Instructional Design.

What is Instructional Design?
Instructional Design can be considered as:
  • A process
  • A discipline
  • A science
Instructional Design as a Process
  • The systematic way of developing instructional specifications using learning andinstructional theories to ensure the quality of instruction
  • The entire process of analysis of learning needs and goals and the development of a delivery system to meet those needs
  • Includes development of instructional materials and activities
Instructional Design as a Discipline

Branch of knowledge concerned with research and theory about instructional strategiesProcess for developing and implementing the instructional strategies.
Instructional Design as a Science

Science of creating detailed specifications for the development, implementation, evaluation, and maintenance of situations that facilitate the learning of both large and small units of subject matter at all levels of complexity.

2 comments:

Naren Balaji said...

Looks more like a text book definition, so me still confused!

anyway, thanks for taking pains to elaborate about instructional design.

Thrivikraman said...

Nice defenitions Chechi! It shows ur professionalism .. but some .'s missing here n there.. check the allignment again :D
You had told me about what an ID is, but this blog seems to be more descriptive :)